Thursday, December 2, 2010

You might be a writer if...

For my birthday last month, one of the presents I got from my parents was a very English major-y sweatshirt. The front of it is plain, and on the back it says:

Top ten clues you may be a writer
1. You would rather talk to the voices in your head than the person sitting by you.
2. You know the library's phone number, but not your work number.
3. Some of the letters on your keyboard are completely worn off.
4. You have a favorite pen that no one else can touch.
5. Books are your favorite scent.
6. If you could meet anyone in the world, it would be your favorite author.
7. You eat macaroni and cheese for a week because you spent all of your money at the bookstore.
8. Your/you're errors drive you crazy.
9. You named your laptop.
10. You would rather write than go out.

I had to laugh when I got it because some of the clues were so accurate. I guess I really am a writer (and apparently a fairly stereotypical one)! And I'm sure I could add onto the list as well: like "11. You point out all the literary devices in the songs you listen to." I found myself doing this yesterday; I had the song "Rent" (from the musical) stuck in my head, and I couldn't help but start trying to analyze lines like "The naration crackles and pops with incendiary wit" that the characters sing while burning their rock posters and screenplays for heat.
Another geeky English major moment: I got really excited over Thanksgiving break because I got to wander around Borders for a while! I hadn't meant to buy anything (I've been trying to save my money), but then I found one of my all-time favorite books, Black by Ted Dekker, that I read a few years back when I borrowed it from a friend. I'd been wanting to reread it for a while, so when I saw it at Borders, I had to open it up and read a few lines from the first couple chapters. Well, once I'd done that, I remembered how much I loved the book, and I couldn't put it down. So I bought it.
12. You might be a writer if you get way too excited over buying a book you've already read.

13. You might be a writer if you get your high school senior pictures taken with one of you favorite books. (The book, by the way, is The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker, and yes, I know I am obsessed with Ted Dekker.)
So, that's that. If I think of any more clues to being a writer/English major, I'll be sure to post them on here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment